If during your travel within, or to / from India , there is a flight cancellation or delay or denied boarding on a flight for which you hold a valid and confirmed reservation, you are entitled to certain rights in accordance with the Civil Aviation Requirements, Section 3 – Air Transport, Series ‘M”, Part IV, Issue 1, dated August 6, 2010, effective August 15, 2010, passed by the Director General of Civil Aviation. For your ready reference, we give below a summary of these rights. Full text of this CAR is available on http://dgca.nic.in/rules/car-ind.htm
;[I] Denied Boarding
Many a time, passengers who hold a confirmed & valid booking, do not or are unable to report (i.e. ‘No Show”) for travel before the time limit specified by the airline. In such cases, an airline is allowed to levy appropriate ‘No Show’ penalty under Rule 135 of the Aircraft Rules, 1937 and the same will be deducted from the fare paid by the guest
To reduce the possibility of flight departing with unoccupied or empty seats, the airlines overbook flights to a limited extent. In such overbooking cases, an airline may have more guests reporting for a particular flight than the seats available on such flight and as such, may need to deny the boarding to some of the guests.
In the above event, before denying the boarding, JetKonnect would endeavour to first ask volunteers to give up their seats so as to make such seats available for other booked guests to travel on the flight. In return, JetKonnect, at its own discretion, would offer to the volunteer such benefits / facilities which, it may wish to offer.
In case you are denied boarding involuntarily on a flight for which you hold a confirmed reservation, you are entitled to the following monetary compensation:
A] The monetary compensation indicated below shall be given only if the amount of ticket costs is higher than the compensation amount:
- Rs 2,000 or the value of the ticket whichever is less, for flights having a block time of up to and including one hour.
- Rs 3000 or the value of the ticket whichever is less, for flights having a block time of more than one hour and up to and including two hours.
- Rs 4000 or the value of the ticket whichever is less, for flights having a block time of more than two hours.
If the cost of the ticket is less than the amount of compensation indicated above, you will be entitled to an amount equivalent to the ticket cost in addition to refund of air ticket.
[Block time is the total time from the moment an aircraft first moves for the purpose of taking off until the moment it finally comes to rest at the end of the flight.]
B] The above compensatory amounts will be given to you in the form of a MCO (Miscellaneous Charges Order), which can be encashed at any of our ticketing counters/offices.
C] Additionally, you will be offered the choice between the following:
- Refund of air ticket at the price it was purchased. OR
- A flight to the first point of departure OR.
- Alternate transportation under comparable / alternate mode of transport (whenever applicable), to the final destination OR.
- Alternate transportation under comparable / alternate mode of transport (whenever applicable), to the final destination at a later date, at the guests’s convenience, subject to availability of seats.
D] You shall be offered the above alternatives listed in paragraph [C] above. Once you have selected the option, you will not have the option to switch to another form of compensation.
E] JetKonnect reserves the right to deny boarding to any guest under the influence of alcohol or drugs; for health, safety or security reasons; or in the absence of adequate travel documents and no compensation as referred to above shall be payable in such cases.
[II] Cancellation of Flights
Cancellation means non-operation of a flight which was previously planned to be operated and on which, at least one place was reserved for a passenger.
A] In case of flight cancellations, whenever possible, JetKonnect will endeavor to inform you through a telephone call or SMS, as far in advance as possible of the scheduled time of departure, provided at the time of creating your booking, you had given the relevant contact information e.g., working telephone number (landline or mobile) at the time of booking.
B] Subject to the above, if you are not informed at least 3 (three) hours in advance about the cancellation of the flight, on which you were scheduled to travel, you are eligible for the following :
- Compensation in accordance with paragraph [I] A & B above
- Refund of the ticket price in the event you do not wish to travel instead, on our alternate or subsequent flight or on another carrier’s flight or if so desired by you, an alternate travel opportunity at no additional cost.
- If you have already reported for your original flight and are waiting for the alternate flight at the airport, meal and refreshments in relation to the waiting time.
C] However, please note that, no financial compensation shall be payable to you, if you have not provided adequate contact information at the time of making your booking or when you are issued a ticket for firm travel on the selected flight. In such a case, JetKonnect will either refund to you the ticket price or make reasonable endeavour to make alternate travel arrangements as per your choice. If you elect to travel to your destination on an alternate flight, JetKonnect shall provide you with meals and refreshments in relation to the waiting time at the airport.
D] Further, no such compensation shall be payable in the event:
- You do not accept the alternate travel arrangement made by JetKonnect; Or
- The cancellation occurs due to extraordinary circumstances beyond JetKonnect’s control (as described in paragraph nos. IV [A] & [B] below) when all reasonable measures have been taken by the airline.
[III] Flight Delays
A] If you have already checked in on time and your flight has been delayed beyond it’s originally announced schedule time of departure or a revised time of departure of :
- 2 hours or more in case of flights having a block time of upto 2 1/2 hours; or
- 3 hours or more in case of flights having a block time of more than 2 ½ hours and upto 5 hours; or
- 4 hours or more in case of flights not falling under a) and b) as above.
- Meals & Refreshments will be provided in relation to the waiting time at the airport.
B] When the reasonably expected time of departure is more than 24 hrs after the scheduled time of departure previously announced, JetKonnect shall provide you with Hotel Accommodation, when necessary (including transfers). JetKonnect shall have absolute discretion in selection of hotels under the given circumstances and no reimbursement shall be made in this regard.
C] However, JetKonnect shall not be obliged to provide you the facilities as mentioned in (A) and (B) above, if the delay is caused due to extra ordinary circumstances, as defined in paragraph nos. IV [A] & [B] below, which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
A] JetKonnect is not obliged to pay compensation in cases where the cancellations and delays have been caused by an event(s) of force majeure i.e., extraordinary circumstance(s) beyond JetKonnect’s control, the impact of which lead to the cancellation/delay of flight(s), and, which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken by JetKonnect. Such extraordinary circumstances may in particular, occur due to political instability, natural disaster, civil war, insurrection or riot, flood, explosion, government regulation or order affecting the aircraft, strikes and labour disputes causing cessation, slowdown or interruption of work or any other factors that are beyond our control.
B] Additionally, JetKonnect would also not be liable to pay any compensation in respect of cancellations and delays clearly attributable to Air Traffic Control (ATC), meteorological conditions, security risks, or any other causes that are beyond JetKonnect’s control but which affect JetKonnect’s ability to operate flights on schedule. Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft or several aircraft on a particular day, gives rise to a long delay or delays, or an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, and which would not be avoided even though all reasonable measures were taken to avoid or overcome the impact of the relevant factor and, thereby, the delays or cancellations are caused.
C] This CAR does not restrict JetKonnect’s rights to seek compensation from any person, including third parties, in accordance with the applicable law.
In the case of Denied Boarding, Cancellation or Flight Delay, if you have not been provided with the compensation and reasonable facilities as listed in this policy, you may directly intimate our following officials, who have been designated for redressal of the passenger grievances:
Nodal Officer: Ms. Deepika Poojary
Tel: +91 22 6121 2300
Appellate Authority: Mr. Tejinder Singh